We thrive on being at the cusp of industry innovations and trends, constantly seeking new ways to elevate our clients to the forefront of the Zeitgeist. Having foreseen the growth of the U.S. spa industry -- which grew from 50 spas in 1985 to over 50,000 today -- TMP became the very first branding & P.R. Firm in the U.S. to Specialize in the spa & wellness industries when it opened in 1995.
Kim Marshall has been a Board Member of:
Prior to TMP’s official opening, Kim Marshall created and orchestrated the first New York Spa Media Event in 1993 and it is still a major ISPA member benefit today.
The early ISPA Media Events that TMP organized showcased such trailblazers as: Surgeon General, C. Everett Koop, Donald Trump, Aveda founder, Horst Rechelbacher and the head of Women’s Health at Yale, Dr. Florence Comite.
Because of TMP’s longstanding involvement in the spa industry, founder Kim Marshall has created a name for herself among spa leaders; having worked side-by-side with industry trailblazers including Deborah & Alex Szekely and Susie & Pete Ellis.
PUBLIC SPEAKING – GLOBAL INFLUENCER
TMP helped secure the Moderator for GWS 2015, Emmy winning journalist, Giselle Fernandez.
Kim Marshall Moderating a “Trends in Media” Panel at the Global Wellness Summit, Mexico City 2015 with head of Lemon Films; Fernandez; EIC of Forbes Mexico; EIC of Weightwatchers Intl; EIC of German Spa Mag.
In just two years GWD has grown from 1 spa in Turkey to: 3,000 destinations in 100 countries!
THE SPA LIFE AT HOME
TMP organized an 8-city book tour to promote The Spa Life at Home, the first book to discuss creating spa rituals in your everyday life. Besides securing television appearances and interviews for the authors, TMP also orchestrated book signing events at high end spas in each of the tour cities.
SPA PRODUCT CREATION
Working with five different spa companies in 1997, TMP was instrumental in developing the first at-home spa kit called SMART SPA™ for the home shopping television network QVC. TMP’s founder Kim Marshall appeared on the channel as a representative to inform viewers on recreating authentic spa experiences at home. TMP was also responsible for product packaging design, public relations and distribution outreach.
SPA AND WELLNESS LAUNCHES
“Kim was the first to communicate to the beauty press 20 years ago that beauty and wellness really do intersect and that the spa industry was the epicenter of that line of thought. Now there’s a whole industry built around it. The Marshall Plan may be based in L.A. but their reach goes far beyond. They put Green Valley Spa and its wild-crafted Good Medicine line on all of the beauty editors’ lips “- Colleen Sullivan | Beauty Editor, Health Magazine
GREEN VALLEY SPA
TMP worked with the family-owned destination spa in Utah’s red rock canyon country for five years. The relationship garnered coverage in numerous print & broadcast outlets, helping educate the public about authentic destination spas and adventure spa-ing. Orchestrated book publishing and media tour for the spa’s nutritionist, Jay Cooper to promote his book The Body Code. TMP also assisted with introducing Green Valley Spa’s self-branded line of beauty & body products made from wild desert plants and flowers. In addition to introducing the wild-crafted Good Medicine line to the national beauty & wellness press, TMP’s founder Kim Marshall was appeared on QVC home shopping network as a representative of the brand. The launch showcase resulted in the products selling out within 50 minutes. Green Valley Spa needed our help in promoting their lifesaving weight loss program hCG Weight Loss Program. We approached the project in a number of different ways:
- Researching and developing story angles for the press
- creating a newsletter that explains the program to former guests and the media
- Sending a relative to the spa to experience the program. Result: loss of 30 lbs in 30 days and 50 lbs in four months – reflecting the possibility of an entire lifestyle change that added at least ten years to the participant’s life.
- Created a blog about this experience.
- Researching the program’s web presence and clinics for the program throughout the country.
- Social Media Campaign – with the help of Social Media Experts including two professors from UCLA – that reached out to Websites, blogs, Twitter & Yahoo Groups, YouTube Followers, etc. – to let them know about the support available for their weight loss journey.
- Created a Direct Mail Campaign to the 70 hCG Weight Loss Clinics across the country.
- Creating and promoting hCG Meals To Go and hCG Spa Stays at 20% off through a Web Sales page
SPA & SALON BELLAGIO
- Development of spa treatment concepts
- Spa brochure
- Press releases
- Industry and media introductions
TMP worked with MGM Mirage PR office and the hotel design & operations teams for the launch of their new, 50,000 square foot spa.
The launch initiatives resulted in over $10M worth of publicity in the first six months of opening.
DIMENSION ONE SPAS
Working with the world’s leading home spa manufacturer Dimension One Spas® TMP promoted the concept of “wellness in the backyard.” Brought on to promote their AquaFIT Systems or “underwater gym,” TMP researched and located the world’s top water fitness expert, Mary Sanders, and built a strategic alliance with her and the company. Mary assisted the Dimension One Spas® team in redesigning the AquaFIT System, focusing on making it more effective, efficient, fitness oriented and commercially marketable helping to breathe new life into the 35 year old, San Diego based company.
BRANDING & COLLATERAL
TMP was asked to create a launch campaign for San Francisco’s first authentic Russian banya or bathhouse Archimedes Banya – bringing together the best of ancient bathing traditions from around the world and creating a social setting for healthy living. In addition to gathering positive reviews from traditional and social media outreach, TMP developed collateral pieces for Archimedes Banya, which included a six-panel brochure, a postcard for direct mailing and an outdoor advertising piece placed at BART stations, with the challenge of quickly explaining this new kind of “spa-ing” option to busy commuters within the San Francisco Bay area.
LARCHMONT SANCTUARY SPA
TMP helped the new owner spearhead a name change and rebranding for this well-known bungalow day spa in one of L.A.’s most historic neighborhoods. Taking advantage of her experience as a former human resources technology executive the new owner of Larchmont Sanctuary Spa decided to turn her part time hobby into a new career. Formerly known as a “couple’s spa,” the repositioning needed to emphasize the “indoor/outdoor Indochine-style” with a focus on being a “relationship spa.” The spa partnered with the world-renowned Gottman Institute, known for producing books, workshops and tools that help to keep relationships and families emotionally healthy. Today, Larchmont Sanctuary Spaoffers opportunities for mothers and daughters, sisters, best friends, and more to renew their special bond in a healthy, serene urban oasis.
TMP has parlayed this positioning into creating unique relationship-focused packages introducing “conversation starter” cards further encouraging communication and the strengthening of bonds. Recent coverage includes:
The International Spa & Fitness Association (ISPA)
- Writing and editing the monthly newsletter
- Conducting all media relations
- Creating and orchestrating the annual New York Spa Media Event, which launched in 1993 and is still a major member benefit 20 years later.
- (The ISPA Media Events TMP orchestrated showcased such trailblazers as: Surgeon General, C. Everett Koop, Donald Trump, Aveda founder, Horst Rechelbacher and Dr. Florence Comite, the head of Women’s Health at Yale.)
- Positioning all news campaigns and creating & distributing all press materials.
- Orchestrating and moderating the first five Media Panels at ISPA’s annual conventions.
- Introducing the spa concept to pioneers in the wellness movement including: Holistic health expert, Andrew Weil, M.D.; prayer expert, Larry Dossey, M.D. and mind/body expert, Herb Benson, M.D.
TMP’s founder Kim Marshall served as an original member of this trade organization holding its first congress with 91 people in 1991, since then the association has grown to over 3,000 members worldwide. Kim first served on the ISPA Board and later TMP became ISPA’s first public relations agency of record responsible for:
GREEN SPA NETWORK
For four years Kim Marshall served on the Board of the Green Spa Network and is Co-Chair of its Marketing Committee, which is responsible for creating the newsletter and branding materials and publicizing all the organization’s campaigns and programs. Besides creating GSN’s tagline: Vital People, Vital Planet, she also develops the theme for the annual congress and organized and moderated the Marketing Panels for the 2011 Congress at Robert Redford’s Sundance Resort and the 2012 Congress in Sunriver, Oregon